When you prepare your favourite dishes every day and season them with hot pepper, you don’t even realize that capsaicin is sometimes responsible for the burning taste. It is an organic substance valued not only for its taste, but above all for its beneficial effect on our health.
Capsaicin – how to find it
Capsaicin is a chemical compound belonging to the group of alkaloids, odourless and with a characteristic orange colour, which can be found mainly in various varieties of peppers, especially hot ones. The degree of its sharpness is determined by the scale of SHU, Scoville, and the highest recorded is 16 million units, which practically excludes such peppers from consumption. The taste works directly on the receptors responsible for pain and, depending on the degree of sharpness, it can be mild or even hard to withstand burning. If you overdose it, don’t rinse your mouth with water, just drink a glass of fat milk that will help. Of course, nobody tells us to eat pure capsaicin, and in small quantities it has numerous medicinal properties, allowing us to quickly get rid of excess weight.
Capsaicin – nutritional properties
The most capsaicin, which has a beneficial effect on the body, can be found in chili peppers, a popular addition to many dishes, known in kitchens all over the world. The ground variety, known as cayenne pepper, is also produced for ease of use. It contains a lot of valuable nutrients in its composition, such as:
- Vitamin C, in 100 grams of pepper over 200 percent of daily demand;
- Vitamin B6, 39 percent in 100 g;
- Vitamin A, more than the same amount of e.g. carrots;
- minerals: iron, potassium, zinc, selenium and magnesium.
However, before we introduce it permanently to our menu, we must remember about reasonable consumption of it, in excess, regardless of the source of origin, is highly toxic, and can even lead to death, which occurs after consumption of 56 to 512 g per kilogram of body weight. We also have to take into account other side effects and if we are allergic to it, even a small amount of it can cause digestive disorders, vomiting, nausea, severe stomach and liver pain.
Capsaicin – health and slimming properties
Until recently, it was also claimed that eating it could cause many diseases, including stomach ulcers, but, fortunately, specialists quickly disproved this myth and confirmed the benefits it brings to our health. Not only does it provide it with large quantities of the above mentioned nutrients, but it also helps in the treatment and prevention of many diseases, protecting against them:
- It also reduces the level of bad cholesterol and triglycerides in blood, regulates hypertension and minimizes the risk of heart attack, atherosclerosis and strokes;
- cancer, thanks to the high content of antioxidants helping to fight cancer cells. It is highly effective in preventing cancer of the colon, stomach, prostate, lungs and various skin cancers, including the most common melanoma caused by excessive sunbathing;
- migraine headaches, sinuses and severe musculoskeletal, rheumatic and arthritic pains;
- It cures some inflammatory bowel diseases and prevents bacteria that cause gastric ulcers. It also reduces gastric acid secretion, thus preventing annoying hyperacidity;
- The results of subsequent studies give hope to all patients suffering from Alzheimer disease.
This substance was also appreciated by dieticians who recommend it in the process of weight loss. In various forms, such as natural paprika or dietary supplements containing it, it should be in the diet of everyone who wants to get rid of excess weight quickly. Only 2.5 g of capsaicin consumed directly before a meal effectively suppresses appetite, which results in eating much less, regulates metabolism. It has a positive effect on fat burning due to thermogenesis, the process of natural heat generation by the body and adrenal glands, as a result of which we will quickly get rid of unnecessary calories and accelerate the digestion of carbohydrates.
Capsaicin – available in dietary supplements
Daily eating of peppers in various forms can and is healthy, but it can quickly get bored, so capsaicin is better supplied in the form of dietary supplements, which include it. Apart from it, they also contain many other valuable substances whose action will contribute not only to the improvement of our health, but also to the desired weight loss. It will quickly and effectively supplement all other deficiencies in the daily diet, which usually we do not have time to compose properly, contenting ourselves with meals of low nutritional value. On the market in our country there are many such products with capsaicin available, but two of them deserve special attention:
- Silvets, tablet preparationin which, in addition to pepper cayenne we find such proven ingredients as acai berries, another valued slimming substance, guarana, a source of a lot of caffeine energy and green tea extract;
- Garcinia Cambogia Activeswith Cambodian cuisine, one of the best blockers of excessive appetite, cayenne pepper, also green tea and green coffee.
Which capsaicin supplement we choose depends on our personal preferences, in both cases we can count on effective action, confirmed not only by specialists, but also by numerous satisfied patients, who give them positive feedback on the Internet forums.
I am 31 years old and I am passionate about everything associated with a healthy lifestyle. I try to live according to its principles, and I want to share my experiences with you on this blog. You can find here the necessary information about slimming diets that give the best results in the shortest time, and also reviews of dietary supplements supporting this process, in order to help you choose the most effective ones. I am also waiting for your comments, which certainly will not remain unanswered.