Despite continuous progress, medicine still cannot cope in the traditional, conventional way with the treatment of many dangerous diseases. However, in situations when it turns out to be completely helpless, unconventional medicine may help in turn, using innovative, unfortunately not yet fully acceptable methods in the process of treatment and convalescence of the patient. This is due, among other things, to the preparations used in them, and one of them, unjustifiably controversial, is CBD oil obtained from cannabis seeds.
- 1 Sowing hemp – a versatile and versatile plant, known since ancient times
- 2 CBD – what it really is and how to obtain it
- 3 CBD oil – the most important active ingredient and health benefits
- 4 CBD oil – recommended dosage and possible side effects
Sowing hemp – a versatile and versatile plant, known since ancient times
These cannabis sometimes induce such indignation, being confused with the Indian version, from which in fact a drug, means marijuana, is obtained, but in reality it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Cannabis sativa L. is a popular plant belonging to the species of cannabis plants, commonly grown in many parts of the world, especially in Asia, and in our country we most often deal with its cultivar, that is cannabis seeds. The first information about their use by humans dates back to ancient times, where they were used, among others, in China, and in Poland they were already known to our ancient Slavic ancestors. They mainly obtained oil from them, although not CBD, but they were also an important addition to many dishes of that time. Henryk Sienkiewicz also mentioned cannabis in “The Deluge”, where Zagłoba advised Hetman Czarnecki to take hempseed to improve his memory, drinking it with strong Hungarian wine, so that oleum could reach his head faster.
Cannabis seeds have a characteristic appearance that makes it easy to distinguish them from their illegal variety, which is banned not only in our country, but also in virtually all of the EU. According to the regulations in force in this respect, the Act of 29 July 2005, in Poland it is possible to grow hemp for sowing, otherwise known as fibrous hemp, with no more than 0.20% THC, until recently the condition for starting such cultivation was to conclude a contracting agreement with an entity having the right to purchase hemp in a given province, but now it is no longer required. However, it is necessary to specify the purpose for which we will cultivate it.
Its appearance resembles a shrub growing up to more than 2 m high, with a branched stem, covered with hairs with a pungent smell. The Indian variety is much smaller and more branched, rarely reaching 1 m in height. Differences can be easily noticed also in the leaves of both plants, in the sowing variety there are more of them, longer, having, up to 10 cm and slimmer. The cannabis seed variety is also almost completely devoid of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), a substance with psychoactive properties, prohibited by the law to use in our country. The process of THC degradation itself has a negative effect on other components, including cannabinoids.
The most important nutrients in fibrous cannabis:
- unsaturated fatty acids Omega – 3 and Omega – 6, natural reinforcement for the heart and circulatory system;
- dietary fiber that regulates the functioning of the digestive system and improves digestion;
- one of the most easily assimilated varieties of protein, building blocks of tissues, including muscle tissue;
- vitamins: A, B (B1, B2, B3, B6), D, E and K;
- minerals: potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, sulphur, manganese, sodium, silicon, copper, boron, iodine, iron;
- 8 exogenous amino acids, which we need, but our body is not able to produce them on its own;
- Cannabidiol, an organic chemical compound, the main component of CBD oil.
CBD – what it really is and how to obtain it
The most valuable from a medical point of view, and what we particularly emphasize, is the completely legal CBD, from which the oil is produced, is a chemical compound belonging to the group of cannabinoids, naturally occurring in cannabis seeds. Its most important feature is the lack of any psychotic action and it has absolutely no properties by which it can be considered a drug. CBD is obtained by several methods, on a limited or industrial scale, and among the most frequently used methods of its extraction it is worth mentioning:
Extraction by means of olive oil
This is the safest and most environmentally friendly method that does not use any hazardous chemicals, especially ethyl alcohol or butane, which we will describe below. To produce CBD in this way, heat the hemp to activate its active ingredients, then add oil and heat it for at least one hour at a temperature of up to 100 °C. As a result of this process we obtain oil with CBD content, unfortunately not too high, which is one of the most serious drawbacks of this method. Another is the relatively short shelf life of the product obtained, which, because of the oil content, must be kept in a refrigerator.
2. extraction with solvents, ethanol or butane
It uses low-profile ethanol and butane, but here the disadvantages of the final product dominate over its advantages. Extraction with ethanol gives a relatively clean and drinkable CBD, but it contains a large amount of chlorophyll, which escapes luckily during the drying process, and the CBD itself, unfortunately, has a weaker effect. The use of butane can in turn introduce into the oil substances contained in the solvent itself, usually having an aggressive, irritating effect. In both cases, valuable cannabinoids, flavonoids and terpenes can also be destroyed. Sometimes substances such as light petroleum or heavy grades of gasoline are also used, but they can cause an increase in THC rather than CBD.
3. extraction with dry ice
This way of obtaining the CBD can be used at home, which of course is strongly discouraged due to the applicable laws and regulations. All you have to do is put the fibrous cannabis in the ice, and after a while a lot of resin starts to precipitate from it. This is more efficient than using oil, for example, but the resulting product is of too low quality to be used for medicinal purposes.
4. extraction with CO2 for the highest performance on an industrial scale
The extraction of CBD with carbon dioxide is widely used on an industrial scale, although this method is definitely not the cheapest due to the need to use specialized, complex equipment. Compressed CO2 is used for this purpose, working similarly to the solvents described above, but with the difference that it is frozen and compressed in the so-called supercritical state. The CBD oil obtained in this way can be called perfect, with the highest degree of purity, clear, transparent, without undesirable contamination of chlorophyll type, retaining its valuable composition in terms of health. It can be used without any risk of poisoning, but the final cost of obtaining it may be unprofitable.
CBD oil – the most important active ingredient and health benefits
We already know how to obtain CBD oil, which is still treated in our country as a dietary supplement and not a drug, and as we can see, it is difficult to do it at home, and who can possibly do it, is regulated by the Act of 29 July 2005 on Counteracting Drug Addiction. It is therefore time to learn about the composition of this substance and its properties, making it more and more popular. Extract obtained from cannabis seeds contains a number of ingredients directly determining its properties, but the most important active factor is cannabidiol, i.e. CBD itself, in quantities ranging from 1 to 10 percent of the composition.
It is characterized by an amber colour and a bitter, bitter taste, which is why various essential oils are added to it, also natural and with many valuable health properties. It can be obtained not only in the form of a typical oil, it is also an addition to tablets, patches, ointments or spread creams, and even chewing gum. The positive influence of CBD oil on the human body cannot be underestimated and it is fully confirmed by research conducted in renowned medical centres all over the world. This has broken down many of the negative myths that have developed about this substance, which is mistakenly comparable to marijuana, which it is definitely not, and that it is an illegal substance. That is why we are repeating once again that this oil can be used completely legally, and the list of ailments, treatments and prophylaxis for which it is used is truly impressive and is valued for, among other things, its reputation:
- treatment and alleviation of symptoms of degenerative diseases, because CBD oil has an extremely beneficial effect on the protection of brain cells, helping to eliminate, for example, the effects of stroke. Recent studies have also shown positive effects on patients with Alzheimer and Parkinson, but this way of using CBD is still in the testing phase.
- CBD helps to eliminate cancer cells by cutting off the energy supplied to them, increases their sensitivity to drugs and stops uncontrolled growth. Unfortunately, there is no official data on the scientific research carried out for this purpose, and therefore the information on the effectiveness of cancer control oil is usually based only on the relationship between the people it was supposed to help;
- the prevention and treatment of multiple sclerosis, in particular a significant reduction in the pain associated with the disease, where pharmacological measures normally used have proved ineffective;
- anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects using the sensitivity of our body to cannabinoids, which strengthens the functioning of the immune system, which is the most important protection against various infections. The analgesic effect of CBD oil is in turn based on muscle relaxation, and the spectrum of ailments it covers is extremely wide, ranging from toothache to the most troublesome rheumatic pains, such as e.g. rheumatoid arthritis;
- assistance in the treatment of mental illnesses, and the most promising results obtained in alleviating the symptoms of the most difficult-to-treat schizophrenia. The use of CBD showed high efficacy in comparison with the group of patients treated with traditional drugs and, in contrast, no negative side effects were observed in the patients;
- the fight against stress, which is one of the diseases of civilisation, which is harassing more and more people all over the world. One of the effects of oil is the growing feeling of drowsiness, which on the one hand can be considered a side effect of its action, but on the other hand it helps to fall asleep and thus fully relax. The advantage is obvious, because at the same time CBD copes with another problem – insomnia;
- treatment of drug-resistant epilepsy, manifested by a large number of seizures, reaching in the most severe cases even several hundred a day and only oil containing a high concentration of the active agent can deal with it effectively;
- treatment of diabetes, but in this case the results obtained are based only on animal studies, but the high efficacy achieved is a good sign for the future for patients seeking an effective cure for this disease and may in time be joined by CBD oil;
- help in heart and cardiovascular diseases by reducing antioxidant stress in the body and relaxing blood vessels, which facilitates proper blood flow. Research has also shown that CBD provides effective protection against heart attacks and strokes, helps to regulate their rhythm and prevents veins from clogging;
- effectiveness in the treatment of fibromyalgia, a particularly troublesome disease syndrome that causes severe pain in the locomotive system and dyskinesia, i.e. disorders of movement manifested by so-called involuntary movements, e.g. in Parkinson’s disease;
- Removing visible effects of acne, CBD oil after lubrication on the skin acts directly on the sebaceous glands, thus regulating the level of sebum secretion, stopping excessive seborrhoea, one of the most common causes of pimples and other facial eczema. Equally high effectiveness of treatment was achieved in the case of psoriasis, another skin disease with difficult to remove symptoms.
CBD oil – recommended dosage and possible side effects
Of course, this is only a part of the ailments for which you can successfully use CBD oil, a dietary supplement that is gaining recognition of more and more users and in most cases does not cause any side effects. The only side effects observed were long-term doses of the highest concentration and such patients complained of increased blood pressure, dizziness or dry mouth. However, if you follow the instructions for use, they are extremely rare, and the dosage of CBD varies from 100 mg to as much as 3 g per day, depending on which condition you will be using the disease for and what troublesome symptoms it has to alleviate. Of course, the dose is always adjusted individually to a given organism, patient’s weight and other individual preferences checked by a specialist.
I am 31 years old and I am passionate about everything associated with a healthy lifestyle. I try to live according to its principles, and I want to share my experiences with you on this blog. You can find here the necessary information about slimming diets that give the best results in the shortest time, and also reviews of dietary supplements supporting this process, in order to help you choose the most effective ones. I am also waiting for your comments, which certainly will not remain unanswered.