When we hear about cannabis and the oil produced from it, we most often associate it with a negative image at once, with a certain narcotic substance, completely banned in our country. However, this is a misconception, because in such a case, we are usually talking about cannabis seeds and not their illegal Indian variety. They produce two completely different types of oil, CBD oil and hemp oil, also with many valuable health properties enabling its use in medicine, cosmetics and even in the kitchen.
Seed cannabis – a natural source of health for the whole family
Over the years, many misunderstandings and myths have grown around cannabis, putting it in such a negative light unnecessarily. Therefore, we emphasize once again that the cultivation of their sowing variety is completely legal in our country and brings many benefits, giving the material for the production of one of the healthiest oils. Cannabis seed, bearing the Latin name Cannabis sativa, is a plant belonging to the family of cannabis, valued for its health and utility values for centuries. They look like a typical, little branched shrub, growing up to several meters high and this is the first thing that makes them different from cannabis, much lower and branched. The green parts of the stem are covered with fine hairs that give off a specific, pungent aroma, and the lanceolate leaves with serrated edges grow in bunches of 9 sections, in the case of the Indian variety there are even 11 of them, each of which is up to 10 cm long. Sowing hemp also has small, spherical fruit with an egg-shaped shape and a diameter of only 5-6 mm.
This variety of cannabis used to grow in Poland almost everywhere, being widely used not only to produce tasty and healthy oil, but also in households, where it was used to make strong, durable fabrics and ropes. However, the most important has always been the production of oil, which is now also slowly coming back to grace, slowly being cleansed of completely undeserved negative opinions. We owe it mainly to a Canadian, Rick Simpson, who, suffering from skin cancer, started to pump it himself at the beginning of the 1990s, and then used it for therapeutic purposes.
Hemp oil – method of preparation and chemical composition
There are many methods of obtaining oil from cannabis seeds, starting with the oldest, traditional cold pressing. Before this process begins, the seeds should be thoroughly cleaned of their husks, then cooled and pressed into the press to press the tasty oil. This is the healthiest way to obtain an extra virgin version of the final product, like olive oil, which is slightly cloudy and unfiltered, with a characteristic greenish colour, which is indicative of the presence of large quantities of chlorophyll. However, this method is not suitable for industrial production, especially if we want to obtain healthy CBD oil from cannabis, which contains a large amount of cannabidiol and is used for a wide range of medical purposes. We immediately hurry to explain that cannabidiol is a perfectly legal substance and has nothing to do with the narcotic drug THC, the tetrahydrocannabinol, which is banned by law.
On an industrial scale, the method developed by Rick Simpson is used, among others, for extraction with solvents, most often petrol or butane. It may also be extracted at home using commercially available olive oil or dry ice, but the oil obtained will be of insufficient quality. The use of oil also shortens the shelf life of the oil and it is necessary to keep the oil obtained at a low temperature, preferably in a refrigerator. So it is better to rely on ready-made products available in herbal shops or pharmacies, which contain extremely valuable nutrients that are essential for our health. We can safely risk the statement that this composition is unique, not found in any other oils, that is why this cannabis is so widely used in the treatment and prevention of many serious diseases.
The composition of hemp oil – the most important nutrients:
- vitamins: A, B (B1, B2, B3, B6), E;
- Vitamin K, taking an active part in the process of protein synthesis, which is a part of bone forming tissue, responsible for proper blood clotting, characterized by antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal and analgesic effects;
- minerals: calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, sulphur, silicon, iron, copper, boron, iodine, sodium;
- valuable exogenous amino acids, i.e. those that we are not able to produce on our own;
- phytosterols, or simply plant sterols from cannabis seed, are similar in structure to cholesterol, helping to lower its level in the blood at the same time. They are therefore an important element of the prevention of atherosclerosis, protecting us against the development of other, equally dangerous cardiovascular diseases. In addition, they are also characterized by anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory effects, supporting the functioning of the human immune system;
- Omega-3 (LNA) acid, whose deficiency in the body almost immediately manifests itself in problems with concentration, mood changes leading to depression, vision disorders, increased blood pressure, increased risk of clots, metabolic processes are also disrupted, which, if the level of fat burning is reduced, can lead to weight gain and obesity;
- Linoleic acid Omega-6 (LA), also necessary for the proper functioning of the body, and its deficiencies, in turn, affect the deterioration of the skin condition, accelerated, difficult to control alopecia, or reducing the resistance to various dangerous infections. It regulates hormonal economy, protects against osteoporosis, diabetes, lowers the level of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, prevents heart diseases, heart attack or stroke, kidney and urinary system diseases and autoimmune diseases such as lupus and multiple sclerosis;
- Omega-9 oleic acid, included in the so-called essential unsaturated fatty acids (NNKT), without which it would be impossible to function properly practically the whole body, which in every case is not able to produce it on its own. Therefore, it becomes necessary to supply it together with food, and one of the richest sources is hemp oil and therefore Omega-9 perfectly affects the work of the heart and the entire circulatory system, helps to maintain a proper level of blood sugar, minimizes the risk of atherosclerosis, regulates digestion by limiting excessive secretion of gastric acids, and maintains a proper level of skin hydration;
- fibre, which accounts for as much as 10-15 percent of the composition of hemp oil, perfectly affects digestion, improves intestinal function and metabolism. It also slows down the processes leading to the absorption of sugar into the blood, equalizes its level, taking an active part in the prevention of diabetes, especially type II diabetes. It also helps to control excessive appetite, a common cause of obesity leading to eating;
- proteins, accounting for up to 25 percent of the composition;
- Cannabidiol, the already described CBD, an extremely valuable organic compound with absolutely nothing to do with drugs, is increasingly being used to treat conditions of varying severity of symptoms. It is highly effective in the case of degenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimera, multiple sclerosis or diabetes, it also helps to alleviate extremely strong pain.
Hemp oil – Health properties and diseases for which it may be used
As we can see from the above examples, the composition of cannabis oil actually looks impressive, and this is, of course, in our opinion, a sufficient argument for an immediate introduction of it to our everyday diet. The benefits will be obvious and the positive effects will be felt almost immediately. It is not without reason that more and more dieticians and other specialists in healthy eating recommend it to their patients, and the scientific research conducted in this field gradually confirms all the health properties it possesses, and therefore it is worth getting acquainted with them a little more closely.
1. anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects
Inflammation is one of the most common symptoms associated with many diseases, and the oil obtained from cannabis seeds perfectly relieves them, for example, those occurring together with severe pain in rheumatoid arthritis. CBD oil, which eliminates free radicals formed as a result of inflammation, is also an excellent treatment for this oil. Hemp oil is also worthy of use in particularly difficult to treat migraine headaches, for which traditional pharmacological agents have often proved ineffective.
2. invaluable support for the immune system, regulation of the hormonal balance of the body
The immune system, also known as the immune system, is a natural barrier protecting our organism, which unfortunately sometimes gets significantly weakened, allowing the development of many diseases. The saturated fatty acids Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9 contained in hemp oil support it effectively, acting on the intestinal microflora, affecting the development of bacteria beneficial for health and, consequently, our immunity. Oil containing acids included in the NNKT group of acids must therefore become a part of a healthy and balanced diet. Additional support of immunity is provided by vitamins contained in it, headed by vitamin E, which has an antioxidant effect, counteracting the natural aging processes of cells. Hemp oil also helps to regulate the hormonal balance of the body, which is particularly important during the menopause or andropause, reducing virtually all the troublesome, disturbing symptoms of PMS, the premenstrual syndrome.
3. use in the prevention and treatment of heart and circulatory system diseases
The most important organ of the human body, apart from the brain performing a “leading” function, is undoubtedly the heart responsible for bringing blood to all parts of the body. Unfortunately, it is constantly exposed to many ailments throughout our lives, many of which we ourselves are guilty of, and therefore, in order to avoid them, it is worth taking advantage of the advantages of using hemp oil. It prevents, among other things, the risk of venous blockages by preventing blood cells from sticking together and its fatty acids and phytosterols effectively reduce blood cholesterol levels, eliminating the possibility of developing coronary heart disease.
4. calming effect, beneficial for the functioning of the nervous system
Cannabis oil and its variety containing large amounts of CBD also attract users with its proven calming, memory and concentration-enhancing properties. This is thanks to Omega-3 acids, which have a beneficial effect on the brain and the entire nervous system through its better blood supply and, consequently, improved nervous conductivity.
5. healthier hair, complexion and lack of unsightly skin lesions
In addition to the typical medical applications, hemp oil can also be successfully used for everyday hair and skin care. Omega-3 and Omega-6 acids, which have an excellent influence on the skin condition and are suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive ones, come to the fore again. Hemp oil thoroughly moisturizes the skin, and not only the epidermis, reaching without any problems all its deep layers. Other, noteworthy properties of strictly cosmetic are:
- soothing of all skin irritations and inflammations;
- to restore its natural, deep colour;
- regulation of the amount of sebum secreted, the excess of which may lead to the formation of acne;
- support of natural skin regeneration processes, while delaying those that cause premature skin ageing;
- stimulation of faster hair growth, which is also perfectly nourished from root to tip, shiny, unbreakable, without split ends and easy to comb.
Hemp oil – used in the kitchen as an additive in many dishes
In addition to its health and cosmetic properties, hemp oil is also valued in the kitchen as a tasty addition to many dishes. We can especially recommend it to vegetarians and vegans looking for products without ingredients of animal origin, and this oil will also find large amounts of easily assimilable protein. It will also work well as an addition to tasty salads, perfectly matching our favourite vegetables, emphasizing their taste even more. However, it is important to choose only unrefined, cold-pressed food at a temperature not exceeding 40 degrees Celsius, because only such food retains its full nutritional properties. We should also remember that it is not suitable for frying, because it has too low a smoke temperature.