While constantly browsing the vast resources of the Internet and looking for information that might interest you, with a strange regularity I came across one intriguing and exotic-sounding name, yerba mate. I was surprised to discover that this is an increasingly popular beverage, a replacement for coffee or tea, which can also help with weight loss. But before I deal with the influence of yerba mate on rapid weight loss, we need to know what it really is, where it comes from and what other equally important health-promoting properties it has.
Yerba mate – favorite beverage for Latin Americans
Yerba mate came to our continent from Latin America, where it has long been a favorite drink of the inhabitants of many countries of this region of the world. The fragrant, aromatic and tasty infusion is made from dried branches and leaves of the holly, a tree naturally growing or cultivated in Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil and Uruguay, among others. It is deeply connected with the tradition of the indigenous peoples of this part of America, for centuries considered by many Indian tribes as the sacred herb, sent to them by the gods. It is significantly influenced by its properties increasing physical and mental fitness, features necessary not only for an Indian warrior. In Europe, yerba mate was disseminated in the early 17th century, brought to the Old World by Jesuit missionaries, and now we can observe his true career, developing in a truly Hollywood style.
Yerba mate – composition
To be honest, I have long been looking for something to replace the large amounts of coffee and tea I drink every day, which has an impact, usually negative, on my health. I tried a variety of herbs, even those that Mom forced me to drink for years, but their taste definitely didn’t suit me. It seemed to me that I had finally found a solution to the problem and, as it turned out later, I was 100% right.
I liked Yerba mate almost immediately, and when I read what valuable substances it contained, it became a permanent part of my daily menu. I was not able, as you already know from one of the previous entries, to give up drinking morning coffee, but I have already replaced tea, including the previously drunk green variety, by more than 90 percent. In every cup of this drink you can find a lot of ingredients essential for a long stay in full health, the most important of which are:
- Vitamin B1, thiamine, essential for the energy metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins;
- Vitamin B2, riboflavin, similar in effect;
- Vitamin B3, niacin, regulating the level of cholesterol, taking part in the process of red blood cells creation, regulating the functioning of the nervous system;
- Vitamin B5, or pantothenic acid, participates in the synthesis of many hormones necessary for the proper functioning of our body, also improving the condition of hair;
- Vitamin B6, pyrotoxin, also involved in the production of enzymes and hormones;
- Vitamin C, ascorbic acid, which cares for our immune system and protects against dangerous free radicals;
- minerals in large quantities, such as magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and sodium, an important component of bone, involved in the metabolism of proteins and fats, regulating the nervous system, the water balance of the body and the proper functioning of muscles and joints;
Yerba mate – health properties
When I read all this information, I was really surprised by the fact that such a wealth of nutrients is not common unless in specially formulated dietary supplements. Here we have it in highly concentrated doses, in a practical drought, which only needs to be brewed with hot water to fully experience all the health properties of yerba mate after a short time. It has a lot to boast about and its regular drinking results in benefits for the body such as:
- stimulating properties and antidepressant effect thanks to the content of large, but safe amounts of caffeine, giving an injection of energy sufficient for a whole day of physical and mental activity;
- preventing cancer by improving the work of the immune system;
- regulation of blood sugar and cholesterol levels;
- improvement of the work of many important systems, especially blood and digestive systems;
- detoxification, removal not only of toxins but also of all other by-products of metabolism;
- anti-inflammatory, antifungal and even rheumatic pain relief;
- better condition and appearance of hair, skin and nails;
- Strengthening bones and teeth.
Yerba mate – effective for slimming
The undeniable health benefits are therefore seen in black and white, so even writing these words, I drink yerba mate, but it is also worth appreciating them for their numerous slimming properties, and most dietitians recommend Paraguay holly to all their patients. One of the advantages often emphasized is the lack of risk of addiction, which unfortunately often happens in the case of other substances, except that you just have to get used to the somewhat specific taste of such a tea.
I got used to it immediately and now I know that regular drinking of it brings almost fantastic results, and for me the most important is almost complete suppression of the wolf’s appetite, the most common cause of snacking, the effects of which are quickly shown by the steadily growing weight. Yerba mate facilitates digestion of almost everything we eat, effectively lowers cholesterol levels and, most importantly, reduces the amount of fat absorbed by the body, making it easier to burn quickly. It is also characterized by diuretic properties, which is especially important for us women, because it helps to get rid of excess water, caused by fluctuations in hormone levels, particularly burdensome in the period immediately before menstruation.
See my slimming pill ranking
Yerba mate – availability and method of brewing
The Paraguay holly is of course available in our country, you can buy it e.g. in shops with healthy, organic food, via the Internet and also appeared in large chain stores. Drinking it is a kind of ritual, somewhat similar to the way of eating the famous Japanese green tea. Yerba mate is brewed by pouring a carefully measured portion of the dried product with hot water in a special dish made of gourd, wood or metal. The way of drinking a ready-made infusion through bamboo tubes, a bombille with a strainer attached at the end, filtering all unwanted deposits, although of course you can drink from a cup or a cup, is also specific. The fun is frontal, and drinking yerba mate together is also a great opportunity to meet friends, the same healthy lifestyle enthusiasts.
I am 31 years old and I am passionate about everything associated with a healthy lifestyle. I try to live according to its principles, and I want to share my experiences with you on this blog. You can find here the necessary information about slimming diets that give the best results in the shortest time, and also reviews of dietary supplements supporting this process, in order to help you choose the most effective ones. I am also waiting for your comments, which certainly will not remain unanswered.